Willin Belliard (of Counsel)
c/o [email protected]
Currently a member of the House of Assembly (the TCI legislature), Willin is a Turks & Caicos Islander admitted to practice in TCI, the British Virgin Islands and England.
Prior to joining Prudhoe Caribbean, he completed the vocational part of his training as a Barrister (“pupillage”) and then practiced with the international disputes specialists Kobre & Kim.
His practice is focused on complex commercial disputes. He often advises in matters that involve offshore jurisdictions based on English law systems.
He has many years of experience in the area of commercial fraud and the investigation of financial crimes.
Willin was previously a Financial Investigator and former head of the Turks and Caicos Islands’ Financial Intelligence Unit, focused on financial fraud, money laundering and white-collar crimes. He is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist and investigated and co-ordinated several major fraud investigations. The largest of these was, before the Bernie Madoff fraud, the largest fraud of it’s kind in the world (the David Smith / Olint Corporation Ponzi scheme).
Time-permitting, Willin is a keen golfer (and former Grand Turk tournament champion).
- Acting as primary counsel for the liquidator in the first ever appointment under the new Turks & Caicos Islands insolvency regime.
- Junior counsel in successful defensive/opposition efforts in the TCI Supreme Court with respect to a winding-up petition impacting multiple proceedings in four jurisdictions.
- Junior counsel in avoiding proceedings within an ongoing liquidation on behalf of a Caribbean national bank in a dispute with a financial entity surrounding sovereign debt and bond assignments. A full recovery obtained for the client.
- Junior counsel in the representation of a limited partnership disputes partner and related breaches of duty and recovery issues.
- Attorney, Turks and Caicos Islands
- Barrister, Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands)
- Barrister (England & Wales)
- University of Buckingham, LLB (1st Class)
- The Solk Scholarship – Inner Temple
- The Duke of Edinburgh Award – Inner Temple
- Major Exhibition Award – Inner Temple
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author (with Tim Prudhoe), “Constitutional protections confirmed as extending to companies in Central America – the story of a Titan(ic) Battle in Belize” (Gore-Browne on Companies Special Release, March 2019)
- Co-author (with Tim Prudhoe), “Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in the Turks and Caicos Islands” (International Comparative Legal Guide, March 2019)
Professional & Community Involvement
- TCI Young Bar
- Personal Support Unit (litigant in person service, civil courts of England & Wales).
- Pro bono representation, Social Security Appeal Tribunals of England and Wales.